2201 Arsenal

Single Family Gut Rehab

Benton Park Neighborhood

Awarded one of Landmarks Association 11 Most Enhanced Awards for 2005

HISTORY: The Christopher Johnson House 
Christopher Johnson had this house built in 1894. He also built the house next door at 2205 Arsenal in 1891, where he resided with his wife Lillie. Mr. Johnson was a partner and vice-president of the St. Louis Basket & Box Company located at Second and Arsenal. When his business partner W. W. Harris passed away in 1893, he became the sole owner and president of the company.

This project is funded in part by a grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Community Development Agency under the Provisions of Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act 1974 (P.L. 93-838).Mr. Johnson served as a member of the St. Louis School Board from 1897 to 1924. He was a successful businessman in spite of his limited formal education. When asked by the Missouri Historical Society to submit his biography, he listed his education as, "attending public schools for a few years, but grew up on the streets of Chicago, attending the school of Hard Knocks."

© Millennium Restoration and Development Corporation | 2136 South Grand Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63104 | mrdcorp.com | 314.772.9200
Millennium Logo